Etsy is taking video to the next level with Explore, a new social commerce feature that some are comparing to Instagram Reels or TikTok.
It's currently only available by invitation only to in the iOS app, with plans to expand access soon.
With Explore, you can create and upload video posts through the Etsy Seller Preview app for your shop’s home page on the Etsy shopping app.
Explore videos can include sound, and can be anywhere from 2 seconds to 3 minutes long. This gives you space to connect with shoppers and tell the story of your shop.
Explore is a new feature that we’re testing and is currently invite-only. We plan to expand to more sellers in the future. Currently it is only available to U.S. iOS sellers.
Etsy suggests several different types of video content to upload to Explore.
You can designate videos uploaded through Explore as being in the following categories:
- Item Showcase: Show off an item’s details and the different varieties of it you have available.
- Creative Process: Give buyers a behind-the-scenes look at how your items are made or where they come from.
- Item Demo: Give a demonstration of your item in action, showcasing how a buyer can use it.
- Packing an Order: Invite your buyers behind the scenes and show your packing and shipping processes.
- Lifestyle Scene: Focus on style, mood, or aesthetic, and show how buyers can express themselves with your item.
- Tutorial: Give buyers instructions on how you make your crafts and how they can do it themselves.
Here's a video from Etsy showing the process to upload Explore videos in the Etsy Seller Preview app.
And I found a great YouTube video from By Kristina Nicole showing what Explore looks like on the buyer side.
Back in September I remarked how eBay was lagging behind the competition with their new video in listing function where Etsy, Poshmark, and Depop had beaten them to the punch.
eBay has now rolled out video in listings, but the experience has not been consistent, with some sellers reporting long processing times or difficulties when uploading videos.
In the recent Investor Day event, eBay announced live streaming social commerce features will be coming later this year which could be interesting, but again seems to me like playing catch up rather than any kind of truly magical tech-led reimagination innovation.
What do you think of Etsy Explore as a buyer or seller? How important are social commerce and streaming features for your ecommerce business? Let us know in the comments below!