eBay Promoted Listings Advanced has emerged from it's 2 year beta test status and is finally ready for general release, according to the eBay Ads team.
Here at eBay Ads, we’re focused on implementing ad solutions that align the needs and business goals of sellers like you. In 2021, we launched the beta version of Promoted Listings Advanced to help you increase your sales and grow your business on eBay. Since then, we’ve listened to seller feedback and added features that can help you save time creating and managing campaigns, increase your ads’ visibility, and provide you with the tools you need to evaluate your success.
After proving the performance and benefits of Promoted Listings Advanced, we are proudly moving to general release. Let’s take a look back at a few of the helpful features we added while in beta.
We enhanced your visibility
- We gave your ads more opportunities to be seen by even more buyers. Promoted Listings Advanced expanded with additional placements on the search results page to increase the visibility of your listings. Additionally, we made improvements to further prioritize Advanced ads in premium placements.
- We helped you maximize impressions and awareness by offering the broadest level of targeting with new keyword match types. With broad match, your listings can appear for search terms that include your exact keyword terms, even if there are other words before, between, or after your keyword. Phrase match allows your ads to appear for searches that include other words before and/or after your exact keyword.
- We made it easier to target the searches that matter most to you. Negative phrase match lets you choose specific keywords or keyword phrases that you don’t want your listings to appear for. Meaning, when a buyer searches for a term that includes your negative phrase match keyword, your Advanced ads will not be eligible for display.
We simplified campaign setup
- You can launch a campaign in just a few clicks with Quick setup. You select the listings you’d like to promote and eBay will take care of the rest of setup – organizing your listings into ad groups and selecting the suggested keywords, keyword match types and bids.
- You now have more ways to add listings to your Promoted Listings Advanced campaigns. In addition to creating and managing your campaigns on the advertising dashboard, you can now add a single listing to a new or existing Advanced campaign with just a few clicks on Seller Hub. Simply select ‘Single listing’ from the ‘Create listing’ drop-down and select the listings you want to promote.
We improved tools to evaluate your success
- You can make updates to your campaigns quickly and see listing, ad group, and keyword level views of your campaign performance with the campaign dashboard. You can now keep your campaigns optimized and better react in real time.
- The addition of broad match to the search query report can help you identify high performing buyer queries you could consider adding to your campaign as exact match keywords to stay competitive.
The journey from the launch of Promoted Listings Advanced to the exit of beta has been rewarding for both us at eBay Ads and for our sellers. We’re not finished either, so stay tuned for news on future feature releases. We’re eager to hear your much-appreciated feedback and improve your experience as we continue our journey with Promoted Listings Advanced.
To celebrate the official general release, the ads teams also announced that Promoted Listings Advanced campaigns can now be created at the listing level as well as through the campaign tools in Seller Hub.
Sellers now have another way to add listings to their Promoted Listings Advanced campaigns while creating a single listing.
Why is it important?
Sell listings faster and save time on creating campaigns with the new Promoted Listings Advanced option when adding a single listing. This new addition helps sellers add listings to new or existing Advanced campaigns in just a few clicks.
Where do I find it?
From the Listings tab on Seller Hub, select ‘Single listing’ from the ‘Create listing’ drop-down. There, you’ll see an option during the single listing set-up to promote your listing with Promoted Listings Advanced.
Here's what the listing form option for PL Advanced looks like in action:
Adding the option to the listing from definitely streamlines the process, but there's a concern it also glosses over some of the very important terms, conditions, and information about how these ads work.
Cost Per Click ads are very different from the Promoted Listings Standard cost per sale ads sellers may be used to and sellers are strongly advised to spend some time reviewing all of the help and policy pages about PL Advanced before enabling these ads.
eBay may be hoping the"good news" about Promoted Listings Advanced finally being out of beta will help distract from the bad news that Promoted Listings Express for Auctions have failed to gain traction with sellers over the same ~2 year period due to their fixed rate upfront fee structure.
eBay Germany has announced Promoted Listings Express for Auctions will be discontinued effective July 12th. Instead, the existing Promoted Listings Standard pay per sale product will be expanded to include auctions as well as fix priced listings.
So far eBay Germany is the only market where this change has been announced, but it's a good bet if they find this test is successful in getting sellers to opt auction listings in, eBay will expand it to their other marketplaces soon.
The failure of Promoted Listings Express may also raise questions about eBay's other newer ad products like Promoted Listings Advanced, Promoted Display, and Offsite ads which are all cost per click models.
Introducing new ad types and models to increase revenue was a main focus of eBay's Investor Day presentation in 2022 and Wall Street has been paying close attention to whether or not eBay is delivering on those ad revenue promises.
If sellers continue to show hesitancy for adopting products outside of the PL Standard cost per sale model, that may drastically alter the landscape of eBay's ad revenue projections and potential.
Are you currently using eBay Promoted Listings Advanced Cost Per Click? We've love to hear about your experience!
Drop a comment below or contact VAR.