Someone might want to tell the marketing department to swap out the creative on their emails - eBay sent me an email on 5-10-22 with helpful tips to sell sneakers, including "zero fees" which hasn't been a thing since January. 🤦♀️
eBay Canada has announced the same fee increase will take effect for Canadian sellers as of February 1, 2022 - however they are extending the no fees on sneakers over $100 as s special promotion until March 31.
As eBay continues to invest in our platform, we are making changes to final value fees for sneakers listed in the Athletic Shoes category.
Effective February 1, 2022, the final value fee for sneakers over $100 will be 8% (7% for all store subscribers). Insertion fees will continue to be waived for listings with a starting price over $100. See detailed FAQs here.
We are making these fee changes to align with the US - our largest trading partner. However, given that sneaker authentication launched in Canada later than in the US, we wanted to extend a promotion exclusively to our Canadian sellers. Until March 31, 2022, Canadian sellers will continue to have zero final value fees for sneakers over $100. This promotion will automatically apply to your account and therefore no further action is required. See the full terms here.
Make sure to check those terms and conditions carefully though, there may be a few "gotchas."
Restrictions & Exclusions.
Please take time to read the full terms for all the details.
- This Promotion is only valid for listings on the Canadian eBay sites at www.ebay.ca or www.cafr.ebay.ca or with an eBay Mobile application in Canada.
- The Promotion is limited to listings within the sneaker category (“Qualifying Sales”). Category restrictions may apply by the managed payments restricted categories policy available here.
- The Promotion excludes listings created after -- or scheduled to start after -- The Promotion Period.
- Listings that do not sell before the end of The Promotion Period will not qualify for The Promotion.
- Items that are automatically relisted through the Automatic relist function do not qualify for the Promotion and will be charged.
- All listings must comply with all applicable eBay policies, including eBay’s Duplicate Listing policy that allows for the removal of duplicate fixed price listings.
- Fees for optional features (such as reserve price, subtitle, Gallery Plus, listing in two categories, etc.) may still apply. Additionally, international fees may apply. Please note: Not all features are available in all listing flows.
- This offer may not be combined with any other eBay selling promotions.
The free ride for sneakers is coming to an end. eBay has announced that Final Value Fees for sneakers over $100 will be going from 0% to 8% as of January 19, 2022. The $0.30 per transaction processing fee will still be waived.
Will an increase in the minimum price for authentication be next?
As eBay continues to invest in our platform, we are making changes to final value fees for Men’s and Women’s sneakers listed in the Athletic Shoes category.
Effective January 19, 2022, the final value fee for sneakers over $100 will be 8% (7% for Basic and above Stores subscribers). Insertion fees will continue to be waived for listings with a starting price over $100.
See detailed FAQ’s here. https://pages.ebay.com/sneakersfeechart/
eBay is and will remain the most competitive destination for sneaker resale. We have the lowest fees among competing marketplaces and offer the latest resources to help accelerate, grow and scale your business: no-fee verified returns, seller protections and Authenticity Guarantee. To date, eBay has authenticated about 2 million sneakers globally, with a pair of sneakers purchased every four seconds.
eBay is committed to delivering the most trusted, engaging and exciting shopping experience and to provide you, our sellers, with the best tools and largest buyer base.
What are the new fees?
- For sneakers selling for $100 or more (including taxes, shipping, handling fees and applicable fees), the new final value fees are 8% for non-store sellers and 7% for Basic and above Store subscribers.
- Insertion Fees for Sneakers with a starting price over $100 will be waived.
- Per order fee ($0.30) is waived for sneakers selling for $100 or more.
- For sneakers under $100, final value fee rates are unchanged. Final value fees are 12.55% for non-Store sellers and 11.7% for Basic and above Store subscribers.
What sneaker categories are subject to the new fees?
- This fee change applies to all sneakers over $100 in the Men’s and Women’s sneakers listed in the Athletic Shoes category (“Clothing, Shoes & Accessories>Men>Men’s Shoes>Athletic Shoes” (15709) and “Clothing, Shoes & Accessories>Women>Women’s Shoes>Athletic Shoes” (95672).
When does the new fee structure go into effect?
- The new final value fee will apply to items in the Men’s and Women’s Sneakers categories on or after 01/19/2022 12:00am PST. This fee is calculated based on the total amount of the sale, including the cost of the item and shipping, sales tax, and other applicable fees.
What fees are changing for sneakers?
- Only final value fees are changing. Insertion fees, Promoted Listings, listing upgrades, and Store subscription fees are unchanged at this time.
Why are selling fees going up?
- As we continue to invest in our platform, we are making changes to final value fees for Men’s and Women’s sneakers listed in the Athletic Shoes category. This investment will allow us to continue to bring new features and services, like Authenticity Guarantee and 3D true view, that drive trust and transparency in the sneakers categories.
When are Final Value Fees charged?
- Final Value Fees are charged on the completion of a sale. eBay deducts fees and selling costs related to your sales from your funds prior to payout.
Are any other selling fees changing?
- No. Insertion fees, Promoted Listings, listing upgrades, and Store subscription fees are unchanged at this time for sneaker transactions.
Do the new final value fees apply to the Kids’ and Babies’ Athletic Shoes category?
- No, final value fees in those categories remain unchanged.
How do eBay fees differ from marketplaces?
- eBay continues to remain the most cost-competitive online marketplace for sneaker resale among competitors like GOAT, StockX, and Stadium Goods. From no-fee verified returns and seller protections through Authenticity Guarantee, to tools and resources to build and boost your business, to the highest sales velocity of any marketplace, eBay equips sellers like no other to accelerate and scale their businesses.
How do the new selling fees relate to Authenticity Guarantee?
- They are unrelated. eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee is a service designed to protect sellers and allow buyers to shop with confidence. Our expert authenticators physically inspect all eligible items before they are shipped to buyers and inspect all returns prior to sending them back to sellers. Sneakers are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee based on their brand and selling price, see more details here.
What happens to listings I posted before the fee change?
- The new final value fee will apply to the total amount of the sale for in the Men’s and Women’s Sneakers categories, including the cost of the item and shipping, sales tax, and other applicable fees sold on or after 01/19/2022 12:00am PST, even if the listing was created before this date.
If I list my item in a second category, will I receive the reduced final value fee?
- If you list your item in a second category, the final value fee for the category with the highest rate will be applied. Other fees may also apply. Learn more.