Shopify Reports Record Breaking Black Friday For Merchants
Shopify says merchants on its platform broke Black Friday records with $3.36 Billion in sales.
Shopify Inc. (NYSE, TSX: SHOP), a provider of essential internet infrastructure for commerce, announced a record-setting Black Friday with sales of $3.36* billion from the start of Black Friday in New Zealand through the end of Black Friday in California. This marks a 17% increase in sales over Black Friday in 2021 (19% on a constant currency basis). At its peak, merchants on Shopify saw sales of $3.5 million per minute at 12:01 PM EST on Black Friday, collectively.
"Black Friday Cyber Monday has grown into a full-on shopping season. The weekend that started it all is still one of the biggest commerce events of the year, and our merchants have broken Black Friday sales records again," said Harley Finkelstein, President of Shopify. "Our merchants have built beloved brands with loyal communities that support them. This weekend, we're celebrating the incredible power of entrepreneurship on a global stage."
2022 Black Friday Global Highlights
- Peak sales per minute: $3.5 million USD on Black Friday at 12:01 PM EST
- Top selling countries and cities where shoppers made purchases from: United States, United Kingdom and Canada, with the top-selling cities on Black Friday including London, New York, and Los Angeles
- Top product categories: Apparel & accessories, followed by health & beauty, and home & garden
- Average cart price: $102.31 USD or $105.10 USD on a constant currency basis
- 15%: Cross-border orders worldwide on Black Friday as a percentage of total orders
- 27%: Growth in POS sales made by Shopify merchants globally over last year's Black Friday
The numbers are impressive, but of course as Juozas Kaziukėnas from Marketplace Pulse points out, Shopify has added a lot of new merchants over the last two years and same store growth may be much smaller.
If you're a Shopify merchant I'd love to hear how your Cyber Week is going - let us know in the comments below!